Corvallis, OR 97331-3902
PHONE: (541) 737-9801
Philosophy of Science, Feminism and Science,
Epistemology, Contemporary Pragmatism
Sharyn Clough specializes in the philosophy of science and epistemology more generally, with a focus on the intersection between these areas and feminist theory. Her work is informed by the contemporary pragmatist approaches to philosophy of language associated with Quine, Davidson and Rorty.
A Pragmatist Approach to
Feminist Science Studies.
Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield (2003).
|Siblings Under the Skin:
Feminism, Social Justice
and Analytic Philosophy.
Aurora, Colorado: Davies Publishing (2003).
Select Articles & Book Chapters
- “Radical Interpretation, Feminism, and Science.” In Dialogues with Davidson, ed. Jeffrey Malpas. MIT Press. (2011)
- “Gender, Germs and Dirt.” Science at the Frontiers: Perspectives in the History and Philosophy of Science, ed. Will Krieger. Lexington Press. (2011)
- “Gender and the Hygiene Hypothesis.” Social Science & Medicine 72: 486-493. (2010)
- "Drawing Battle Lines and Choosing Bedfellows: Rorty, Relativism, and Feminist Strategy." In Feminist Interpretations of Richard Rorty, ed. Marianne Janack. Penn State Press.
- "Solomon's Empirical/Non-Empirical Distinction and the Proper Place of Values in Science" as part of the symposium "A More Social Epistemology: Decision Vectors, Epistemic Fairness, and Consensus in Solomon's Social Empiricism,Perspectives in Science, 16 (3): 265-279. (2008)
- "Racist Beliefs as Objectively False Value Judgments: A Philosophical and Social-Psychological Analysis," The Journal of Social Philosophy 39 (1): 77-95. (2008)
Dr. Clough regularly teaches a lower division course in epistemology (PHL 251) as well as formal logic (PHL 321), ancient Greek philosophy (PHL 301) and upper level seminars in the philosophy of science (PHL 470/570). Seminars in feminist science studies (PHL 407), and religion and philosophy (PHL 436) are usually offered every other year.
Phl 470/570 Philosophy of Science
Phl 436/570 Philosophy and Religion
Phl 407/507 Feminism, Knowledge, & Science
Phl 321 Symbolic Deductive Logic
Phl 251 Knowers, Knowing, Known
Phl 160 World Religions - Honours
(the latest versions of these course outlines are available to registered students via Blackboard)